£55k - 62k per year
020 3176 4790
about 1 month ago
Senior Quantity Surveyor / Commercial Manager – Fire Protection
Salary: Up to £62,000 per annum + car allowance
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Quantity Surveyor / Commercial Manager to work for one of the UK leaders in Passive Fire protection companies. Their division has been very successful over the past couple of years and they are producing some exciting financial results with some excellent year on year growth forecast again for the new financial year.
- Responsible for large volumes of sales within a location
- Meeting and exceeding forecasts for profit & WIP targets
- Manage the day-to-day work and training of all trainees, surveyors and other employees controlled within branch, ensuring productivity.
- Ensure that tenders are progressed to provide an accurate basis for pricing and to allow sufficient time for the Branch Manager / Commercial team to give them proper consideration
- Monitor the weekly and monthly cost information and ensure the accurate production of monthly valuations
- Maintain strong relationships with customers to retain and grow existing contracts and identify opportunities that could lead to new business
- Exercise commercial judgment to protect the company from financial or other loss
- Maintain a site presence and ensure commercial information is a true reflection of the position on site
- Responsible for the continued development of Trainee Surveyors
- Promote the values of Bell Group at all opportunities
Specific duties and responsibilities of the role:
- Understand the Health & Safety requirements of tenders and contracts
- Be responsible for the accurate production of estimates in accordance with the client’s
- requirements and best practice.
- Check contract/tender documentation and eliminate areas of risk.
- Have a full understanding of the local market.
- Assist the Branch in developing specific method statements.
- Understand the cost base and production levels to secure work for the Branch.
- Develop and maintain several specialist subcontract and supplier contacts, sufficient to avoid reliance on any one company.
- Ensure production targets are issued and contract CVR’s are set.
- Ensure the quality of subcontract orders are sufficient to avoid situations leading to potential claims against the Company.
- Monitor all ongoing contract costs against those detailed in the original tender.
- Highlight variations from anticipated costs and resolve promptly.
- Record all variations, extras etc. and agree with the client.
- Ensure that all Company Policies and Procedures are followed.
- Make applications for payment on time and in a format agreed with the client to ensure prompt payment.
- Ensure submitted invoices are paid on time
- Monitor and accrue sales rebates
- Approve payments to subcontractors in accordance with Company Policy.
- Complete final accounts within the contractual timescale.
- Ensure that financial reports accurately reflect the status of contracts in respect of progress, valuations, billings and collectable cash.
- Ensure contracts have targets at detail and summary levels, from operative to contract manager
- Understand and regularly review cost base of the branch including, labour rates, subcontractors, plant and materials
- Support recruitment, induction, performance management and development of:
- Commercial and estimating staff
- Administration staff
- Ensure work is delivered to achieve forecast gross margin
- Be responsible for Monthly CVR’s in group format
- Actively particiate and influence Branch monthly contract portfolio report for review
- Monitor cost allocations within the Branch to ensure correct control measures are in place and cost are alloacted correctly and in a timely fashion
- Manage invoicing disciplines within the Branch to achieve company debtor day targets
- Monitor and assist with the agreement and collection of aged debt
- Regularly check and audit purchases, timesheets to deter fraudulent practices and control valuation of WIP to avoid over valuation
- Support commercial tender decisions within Branch, contribute to pre-tender submissions and deliver supporting documents & presentations as required
- Contribute fully to weekly branch meetings to consider cost, value & progress of projects
- Attend and contribute at Regional Management Meetings & National meetings as required
- Communicate with regional managers/branch managers on the necessary contract practices to assist in improving commercial performance and mitigate risks of non- payment and dispute culture
- Provide commercial assurance through forecasting, project review as required and identification of issues giving rise to commercial risk.
- Provide guidance and advice on contractual disputes with clients/main contractors/sub- contractors to strengthen our position in these situations
- Assist BM/RM with portfolio analysis, focussing on the following issues: WiP reduction; under-performing contracts; retention release; general branch profitability.
- Identify specific projects that are not adequately performing commercially and assist in any way possible to improve performance (potentially through better variation recovery processes, more detailed use of bonus control, applications of extensions of time).
- Oversee any large-scale applications for price increases, to ensure all facets of BCIS (TPI’s
- etc) have been captured in the calculation of equation.
- Participate and assist in negotiations of final accounts, dispute resolution, and any other key contractual matters for high value clients/accounts
- Participate in the negotiations with clients in the agreement of rebate levels, based on sound commercial quantitative data
- Proactively ensure that employees remain motivated and engaged with the business
Job knowledge, skills and abilities required to undertake the role
- Financial awareness
- Operational awareness
- Communication and teamwork
- Customer focus
- Judgement and decision making
- Full UK driving licence
- Previous experience managing a variety of contracts successfully and having knowledge of the financial and contractual controls required on a contract
- Strong commercial and financial understanding
- Operational delivery knowledge
- Consistent Delivering through a team
- Maintains strong relationships with customers to ensure repeat business and satisfactory enquiry flow
Personal attributes and other requirements
- Understanding finance
- Leading teams
- Planning and organising
- Managing operational deliver
- Problem solving
- Developing people to their full potential
Build Recruitment Limited acts as an Employment Business for the supply of temporary workers and an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Build Recruitment is an equal opportunities employer.