4 months ago
Building Surveyor (MRICS/CIOB or APC), Client-Side, North England
Introducing an exciting opportunity to join the Estates Team team at our clients' office bases in the North (Bellingham, Grizedale or Bassenthwaite).
Fixed Term: 2 years with the possibility of further extension, 37 hours per week.
The Commission is the government department responsible for protecting, expanding and promoting the sustainable management of their national estate and increasing their value to society and the environment.
The Commission has ambitious targets to reduce energy consumption and carbon production and is rolling out a number of renewable projects including hydro and solar across the Districts.
We're looking for a Building Surveyor for North England on a two-year fixed term contract with management responsibility. You will help shape a built estate which is able to match our stunning natural environment.
North England District
This is the largest Commission District in England, covering some 86,000 Ha. The District has over 140 properties including houses, farms, operational, and commercial properties.
The Estates team deals with compliance, day to day management and ambitious projects. Taking a key role in the District's estates teams, you will be tasked with delivering a high standard of professional property services, including planning and monitoring programmes of work across our whole estate. Ensuring we are complying with all statutory regulations and internal guidelines, you will also see to it that all planned and emergency works fall within budget and are completed to your specifications. Your sharp business acumen will prove crucial when ensuring that value for money is being achieved, particularly when balancing your annual capital and revenue budgets.
To thrive in this role, you will have the ability to work collaboratively with a number of stakeholders such as colleagues in other teams and those occupying the properties. As either a Chartered Surveyor (or working towards achieving this status with either RICS or CIOB), or demonstrable relevant practical surveying experience and capability, you will also have construction experience gained at management level, with the ability to analyse a variety of building related issues and procure services. You will have developed detailed specifications and solutions to provide optimum whole life outcomes. We will also expect you to have good IT skills whilst knowledge of water supply regulations and renewable technologies would be advantageous.
Key Work Areas
- Deliver professional building management across the district including the management of utilities and services by the most efficient means and to agreed budgets.
- Plan, specify, procure (to public procurement guidelines) implement and monitor programmes of work including planned and reactive maintenance to a high standard ensuring compliance with statutory regulations (including health and safety legislation) and Commission processes and guidance.
- Improve the financial and environmental sustainability of Commission buildings.
- Set and manage annual capital and revenue budgets as agreed with the Estates Surveyor.
- Assist in the FCs Energy Strategy in the District and improve connectivity of the key, often rural, sites in the district
- To lead and support the Estates' building team; works supervisor and admin officer.
Experience and Professional/Technical Expertise
- Have achieved, or making progress toward Chartered status with RICS or CIOB (support will be offered toward this attainment), or demonstrable relevant surveying experience.
- You should have good and broad knowledge of building pathology and be able to analyse complex and unusual building related issues and develop detailed specifications and solutions to give the best whole life outcomes.
- Fulfil the duties of Client under CDM 2015 Regulations for all construction projects within the District, ensuring safety and value for money throughout.
- Relevant demonstrable construction and building management experience at a management level.
- Experience of managing budgets and procuring services effectively.
- Competent user of MS Office - in particular Excel, Word and Outlook. Familiar with the use of AutoCAD, Sketchup and GIS.
- Good understanding of renewable technologies and sustainability principles.
- Knowledge of water supply regulations.
- Attractive working environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- 25 days annual leave in addition to 10.5 days public and privilege days
- CPD and professional membership support
- Pension contributions from the Civil Service of 27.1% (and 5.45% from employee)
- Access to further CPD resources including Civil Service Learning as a member of the Government Property Profession
For further information please contact Danny at firstname.lastname@example.org / 07756 401156
Build Recruitment Limited acts as an Employment Business for the supply of temporary workers and an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Build Recruitment is an equal opportunities employer.